Omega-3 fatty acids omega-3s) are a group of essential fatty acids that are needed by the body to perform various functions. The source of omega-3 fatty acids is our diet, because our body does not make these acids.
There are three types of omega 3 fatty acids
- EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) - found in animal foods such as fatty fish and fish oil. Some microalgae also contain EPA.
- DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) - found in animal foods such as meat, eggs, fatty fish, fish oil, squid oils, krill oil etc. And it is one of the most important omega-3 fatty acid in the human body.
- ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) - is mainly found in plants such as flaxseed oil, canola oil, chia seeds, soybeans, walnuts, hemp seeds etc.
Sources of omega 3 supplements are from foods such as:
Fatty fish such as salmon, mackerel, herring, sardines, tuna, walnuts, fortified foods, Canola oil, Soybean oil and flaxseed oil. For people who are not getting enough omega 3 fatty acids from diet, the doctor will probably prescribe some supplements such as cod liver oil and omega-3. If you need large doses of omega-3, take a supplement with concentrated omega-3s.
Omega-3 fatty acids can have powerful health benefits such as:
- Omega-3 fatty acids can fight against various diseases and prevent diseases such as breast cancer, prostate cancer and colon cancer
- Increasing omega-3 intake, specifically DHA, may improve literacy and behaviour in children with ADHD. Omega 3 supplements can lower high triglyceride that is risky for causing heart disease.
- Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil are associated with preventing cardiovascular disease and improved survival figures for heart attack victims.
- Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil are also known to prevent diabetes
- Omega-3 fatty acids prevents diseases of the eyes especially the macular degeneration and cataracts in aged people
- Omega-3 fatty acids are very good for skin health and promote hair growth
- Omega-3 fatty acids is helpful in reducing weight and also promotes metabolism
- omega-3 fatty acids are very beneficial for pregnant women as it can benefit the unborn child in number of ways such as reduces the risk of ADHD, autism and cerebral palsy and the baby may have less chances of development problems
- DHA and EPA are very beneficial for solving fertility issues in both men and women
- Reduces the risks of abnormal heartbeat
- Omega 3 supplements reduce blood pressure
- People with mental disorders such as depression or anxiety when start taking omega-3 supplements, there is definitely improvements in their condition